Sunday, May 22, 2005

A dirge to childhood

The poem I wrote some years ago has been placed online at Hulpagina Seksueel Geweld
http://www.seksueelgeweld.nl/gedicht/gedichtenDetails2.php?gedichten_id=617

A dirge to childhood

It is that time to write like mad.
I should be sleeping
But I do not feel like it,
As if I fear the next time
I am awake, I open my eyes
Will be a world of trouble,
A place of sudden sorrow.
There's no turning back,
Not at this moment,
Not at this time.

Where the sun slowly sets,
Darkness looms and lives
In the forever green forest.
What an exciting journey it be!
Onwards, forwards, towards
The days of hope, the nights of peace.
Memories wave across the sacred land
With the blue tide and ebb
Of dried eyes and coloured dreams.
Bitter, bright, sour and sweet,
So taste the branches of tree of life,
So sounds the grassy breath,
So smells the flowery song.
But behind the very veil of time,
Hide the shadows of deep secrets,
Prowls the greying, echoing winds
Of change and coldness.

It is a mask I wear,
So solid and so safe
Like an armour and a sword;
For I am invincible,
I am fearless and I am brave.
But inside, somewhere
You know deep inside,
A face is clouding,
Howling, thundering, moaning,
A child is crying.

No comments: