Saturday, June 04, 2005

Going on vacation


I'll be leaving tomorrow and going on vacation with my parents in the east of the country. Primary destination will be Green Island, located some 30km out to sea away from Taiwan main island. It's supposed to be very beautiful there, and my brother has recommended it many times already. Will finally pay it a visit! The whole region there, and along the coast of Eastern Taiwan is one of the many protected national senic areas/national parks. It should be quite a sight, the mountains and cliffs against the big blue Pacific.

To many, Green Island is a place where political prisoners were kept during the era of Martial Law. Sort of like Taiwan's Alcatraz. But from what I've heard and read, there is so much more...dolphines, whales, coral reefs, unique rock formations, hot-spring by the sea...
I'll see when I get there.

A further stop will be in Taitung (台東, 'East Taiwan')...where there is a famous hot-spring resort, and lots of sea food.

Intrigued what I'll discover and see.

East Coast National Scenic Area (東部海岸國家風景區)
http://www.eastcoast-nsa.gov.tw/en/

Green Island (綠島)
http://www.eastcoast-nsa.gov.tw/en/travelinfo/travel/travel_area.php?travel=5

No comments: