Saturday, June 04, 2005

June 4, 1989


To the people who have died and are dying in the struggle for human rights and dignity in China...


On this day, I remember watching the TV as a five year old.
Images of darkened streets, soldiers and students.
Tiananmen became a camp site, with flags and banners.
I remember seeing a white statue, shining, screaming.
But I also remember the brave man stopping a column of tanks.
Blood spilled onto the streets.

16 years later, I imagine Tiananmen today.
It must be quiet, with the occassion crowd of tourists and passerbys.
I wonder how many are plain-clothed policemen.
I wonder how many have already been 'ushered' away.
I know there are many who have been arrested.
I know many have gone.

Is the cause of freedom less valuable than profits and business?
Blinded by greed the world worships
Cheap goods, low quality products,
Some, churned out by prisoners and children.
The past is readily twisted, forgotten and erased,
By all who embrace China's new breed of capitalist communism.

And this is the country that is due to host the next Olympics.
And this is the country with a veto power in the UN.
And this is the country that threatens its neighbours.
And this is the country investors rush to exploit its potentials.
And this is the country the EU is thinking of selling weapons to.
And this is the country which many have dubbed will be the next superpower.

Power built on tyrrany and terror
Erodes like a sandcastle at the sea.

No comments: