Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Baby's ill

He’s been sneezing and wheezing all night long. Again I was up at various moments in the night to feed and comfort him. Again I watched the sky outside brighten slowly, so I guess it wasn’t all that bad.

I can’t be certain, but I think Baby Sunny is falling ill, possibly the flu. Normally after drinking he goes back to sleep, but last night he was not to be comforted. However I patted him, however I walked around with him on my shoulder, however I rocked his bed, he would not sleep. His breath was heavy, his nose runny, and his stomach churning badly. And he wailed like never before, a heart-breaking sound carrying the pain into our hearts. Even when he was lying in bed, eyes shut and in apparent sleep, his throat would let out a terrible wailing and muffled groaning. Poor Baby Sunny, I wish there was something I could have done to take away the pain and the suffering.

Birth, aging, sickness…a few of the processes of life according to Buddhism. And baby Sunny has had them all.

No comments: